UNGA TRIBE STORY – AS IT SHOULD BE

Reading excerpts of a book about Unga tribe written by our colonial District Commissioner many years before I was born, aroused my interest. The parts I read were heavy on the Ungas’ fishing occupation and had scanty information about our whole way of living. 

I searched the internet, libraries and other sources of information to find out if there was anyone, dead or living, from my tribe, that is; who has ever tried to tell our own story. I found nothing. The closest I came was some research work students did in their theses (about our fishing activities), for their degree examinations.

It made me think. Where are all the educated men and women from Lunga? Why would I fail to tell our own story? I have lived the life others are writing about. I understand better why certain things are done in a way and religiously support our belief system. Why would I let someone else empathize my feelings and pen them down when I can do so myself? Do I still need a colonial representative to come and “twist” what we are, do or believe when I can easily tell it as it was/is on my own?

Lunga, now a district, has been administered from many “foreign” districts such as Luwingu, Mpika and Samfya. Decisions to develop the area or not were done, usually, by our brothers from other parts of Zambia until now. It is with this in mind that I decided to start telling our own story. 

www.swampytales.blogspot.com was born out of need to spread the news about the Unga of Lunga in the heart of the Bangweulu swamps in Luapula province of Zambia. Everyone can now get it from the horse’s mouth, as it should be. You can now enjoy Unga stories from Unga tribesmen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAN WE ISOLATE OUR LAND FROM OUR NATURE?

JOHN KANGULU MACHELETA- MUWELE'S HERO

WHO ARE WE? BANGWEULU OR CHAMBESHI SWAMPERS

ONE SWAMPY DAY IN APRIL