GETTING BACK TO BASICS


Life is all about basics.

I listened to one supposedly learned person in an intense argument in one of the many minibus-political debates I have heard. The educated fiercely attacked the governance of the FTJ Chiluba government. He stated that the many challenges Zambia was going through at the time were because of the president’s primary education. He further condemned the establishment of Basic schools, which, according to him, did not add any meaningful value to the country. Finally, he encouraged people to vote for university graduates in future elections.

In response, the opponents gave an example of the early Kaunda days. They stated that Dr. Kaunda did very well in his first ten years of rule despite having just attained a ‘basic’ education. They indicated that Dr Chiluba had, in fact, numerous cabinet ministers who were highly educated. This debate got more intense as those supporting graduates and non-graduates joined. Each contributor had their reasons for keeping their view. If you have been on a minibus, you may have witnessed this kind of talk. It sometimes turns nasty.

I reached my destination, disembarked, and left the discussion raging. The discussion ruffled the feathers of many on each opposing side. That is what you expect in any political engagement. However, my mind dwelled on the word “basic.” Maybe because I do not even have the so-called primary education, I am even lucky that I can write what you are reading right now! Could it be the reason I love getting back to the bare bones?

I thought deeply about those who have had the privilege of attaining higher education. Many learned fellows merely use their educational status to brag and show off instead of realizing that, in many circumstances, they are where they are because those they look down upon sacrificed for their success in one way or another. Their parents never went far in school due to circumstances beyond their control. Others had to leave school to support those they saw stood a better chance of success.

Instead of simply demeaning those who can barely read anything from the alphabet, who probably had no control over their fate then, they do nothing or very little to help.

 Many educated people have never returned to their villages upon attaining a certain status in life. They have never contributed a single pencil to their former primary school. They have forgotten the uneducated members of the community moulded bricks for classrooms they used, built or maintained teachers’ houses, and in some cases, even paid teachers so they can get educated. They have forgotten those who had helped them develop their capacity through slow and laboured reading, who gave them all that mattered at the time, so they could shine. What a world we live in!

 Please read that again; the so-called uneducated are more educated in the school of humanity because they care about their community more than the celebrated, learned, lucky ones. Therefore, they are essential to community development.

As an uneducated fellow, I have been looking for ways to help others of my status and below. One thing I think about is carrying out some community outreach program that would lift even a single person out of poverty. My basic understanding of the basic tenets of life is that man is born to serve his community. The person who reads the bible in church or a story to a gathering, who writes to communicate community challenges on behalf of everyone else, is a star of development.

Therefore, to help in a small way, I am writing books in the native language that my community would easily understand.

I am now releasing UTUUNTU MU MAKWEBO to help communities who read the Icibemba language grasp the basic entrepreneurship principles. I hope someone can help print it and let me donate this book to as many people in the swamps as possible at no cost! I am looking for that one remnant in the dynasty of that Good Samaritan!


 You may agree that these kinds of books are usually in English and other foreign languages, which many in my village need help to read and understand.

 Also, every learned person understands that any business hinges on FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES, or what they call in polished language, rudiments. Therefore, a book of this nature should help the reader learn to answer very few questions. 1. What problem is my community facing that I can solve? 2. Why should they use my product/service? 3. Why should they buy from me instead of the other supplier? 4. Why should they buy it now and not later?

In this simplified essential business book, I show my reader how to answer those BASIC questions and help them make a living out of whatever they know best. This way is one among many that we will get back to the basics this year.

Let me express my sincere gratitude to those who have supported this project. My dear friend and brother, Kunda Katwishi Emmanuel Kalaba, for the input and encouragement and for being one of my beta readers.

 Miyanda Mumba, for the generous moral and financial support making it possible to share some copies with some of those who needed but could not afford them.

Bangwela, Yangeni and Rise FM radio stations for airing the audio version of the predecessor of the book titled BOLOKO.

All beta readers. My family and friends for all the support.

I will soon share the link from which you can buy the book directly and share it with members of your family who may need it.

So let us get back to the basics of life by uplifting those struggling, as life is about sharing. Remembering the biblical meaning of “neighbour” should compel us to check our value to society, whatever our station in life.

Sponsors of community-led developmental projects or cooperatives will find this book useful for their beneficiaries. The book is selling for K120.00.

You can contact me at 0977 896 547 or email: londakunda@gmail.com to discuss your order.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CAN WE ISOLATE OUR LAND FROM OUR NATURE?

JOHN KANGULU MACHELETA- MUWELE'S HERO

WHO ARE WE? BANGWEULU OR CHAMBESHI SWAMPERS

ONE SWAMPY DAY IN APRIL